Harvest

Monday, February 6, 2012

{Mama Recommends}

COCONUT FLOUR!

The key to successful gluten free baking is the type(s) of flour you use. Today's recipe uses coconut flour. This delicious flour is made from ground coconut meat and has the highest fiber content of any flour.

If you're like me, when I first heard "coconut flour" I gagged. I hate and I mean HATE shredded coconut. This flour is NOTHING like shredded coconut. It has a light and delicious flavor and is perfect for muffins and cupcakes. Even if you're not GF you should incorporate this flour into your baking. It's an incredible addition to your baking that will give it great flavor and health benefits to boot!

Today's recipe comes from Comfy Belly. I cannot remember how I stumbled upon her site, but I have used several of her recipes and they are delicious!

~ Chocolate Chip Muffins ~

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of coconut flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup of maple syrup (or honey or other liquid sweetener)
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, melted (or olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable shortening, or oil of your choice)
  • 1/3 cup of mini chocolate chips
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Blend all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  3. Using a whisk, or mixer on a low setting, blend in all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until well-blended.
  4. Fill each muffin liner about 2/3 of the way full with batter.
  5. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is starting to brown a bit.
  6. Store covered or in the refrigerator.

Notes:
~She states the recipe makes 8-10 regular size muffins, but I was able to make a dozen.
~Be sure you use muffin liners.
~I used 1/4c maple syrup 1/4honey - I really liked the flavor the honey added.
~I plan to make these again and use blueberries. I'll let you know how they turn out!

2 comments:

  1. If only I wasn't allergic to coconut, I would have you make some of these for me. But I may try them with regular flour. I wish I was as brave in the kitchen as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try them with almond flour. Almond flour is high in protein, low in carbohydrates and low in sugars. And it also tastes delicious! You'll find that flour at Whole Foods.

      Delete