Harvest

Thursday, December 16, 2010

An Incredible Thought for Today

In his book Heartfelt Discipline, Clay Clarkson says:

“Many Christian parents, myself included, tend to speak to children as though they were Pharisees. We can speak harshly and with judgment, implying by our manner that their hearts are hard and resistant...

But this attitude is not justified by Scripture.

...There is no record of Jesus ever speaking to a a child in a harsh tone. When the Gospels record Him speaking to a child, it is always with gentleness.
 
Our children are not our adversaries.

...Though our children’s hearts are corrupted by sin, they are not hardened sinners who have made conscious choices to reject the Savior. Our children are simply immature and childish. That’s why children need love and compassion, not harshness and guilt.”
 {emphasis mine}

This quote has blessed me beyond measure as I begin the journey of parenting. I pray that does for you too.

1 comment:

  1. I read this in my google reader when you posted it, so I didn't comment, but I am so thankful that you shared this. I'm pretty sure you did it for me! I have been dwelling on this thought so often since you shared it, and it has helped me a great deal with Sam. Thank you!

    Also, a friend recommended "Teach Them Diligently" by Lou Priolo. I think Ginger Plowman mentions it in "Don't Make Me Count to Three" as well. Have you heard of it/read it yet? I think that's next up in the hopper. He focuses on how to use scriptures in training the childrens.

    Anyway, thanks as always for your timely words of wisdom. Love you!

    ReplyDelete