Harvest

Monday, January 16, 2012

Mama Recommends

Happy Monday everyone!

I love the weekends. They typically provide me an opportunity to spend a bit more time in the kitchen. Trip can distract play with Jack and I can test out recipes. In a recent post I noted that I had acquired a new cookbook. It's Elisabeth Hasselbeck's cookbook, Deliciously G-Free. Now listen, regardless of what you think of her politics, {cough, cough...Brenda} the cookbook ROCKS.

She divides the recipes into 4 categories. Breakfast, Appetizers, Main Course and Desserts. The ingredients are fresh and simple. The directions for each recipe are clear and easy to follow. If you're one of my wonderfully G-free friends or have a desire to dabble in gluten free cooking, I highly recommend the book.

So, Saturday morning I tried one of the breakfast recipes, the Egg Muffins on page 47.

The recipe makes 12 egg muffins. For our family I split the recipe in half.

The ingredients:
Eggs, Salt, Pepper, Baking Soda, Scallions, Mushrooms, Grated Cheese, Bacon

I should note that she has red bell peppers in her ingredient list. We were out, so I substituted tomatoes.

After mixing the eggs with the measured amount of salt, pepper and baking soda you set the egg mixture aside. Then chop the remaining ingredients and layer. For 6 egg muffins I used one scallion {both green and white parts}, 6 slices of mushroom, 2 slices of bacon, a handful of grape tomatoes and 1 cup of cheese.

Using a muffin tin, I layered the ingredients in each well starting with the cheese and finishing with the bacon. Then I poured 1/4c of the egg mixture on top of each.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 20min. Then serve immediately.
Trip said I could make these "whenever I want". 
They were delicious...and so easy for a lazy Saturday. 

If you have kids in school, this would be an easy weekday morning meal that is packed with protein for their day. I would prechop the toppings the night before and then just whip up the egg mixture that morning while the oven preheats.

Up next...CUPCAKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment