Harvest

Monday, July 2, 2012

Henry {One Month}

It's true what "they" say...by the time your sweet baby arrives it's hard to imagine life before they were physically a part of your family. I remember that feeling once Jack had arrived and it resonates deep within my heart again as I reflect upon this first month with Henry.

~Henry is a very sweet baby. He rarely cries. If he does, he is hungry. And not "sort of" hungry...maybe I could use a "snack" hungry - oh no! H-U-N-G-R-Y.

~He's a good sleeper. The last two weeks he's been stretching his night sleep 4 to 5 hours. {It's amazing to me what happens to your brain when you get more than 2 hours at a time.}

~At his 2 week check up he had reached 9lbs {up 20oz since leaving the hospital} and had grown to 21in. With that growth, he said "goodbye!" to newborn clothes and diapers. It has been so fun to see Henry in clothes that Jack once wore.

~He finally got to have his first bath at 3 weeks. {His umbilical stump just wanted to hang on...} I think since he was a bit older the first bath "drama" didn't occur. He really enjoyed it.

The adjustments that we have had to make going from one to two are nothing out of the ordinary. I think the biggest adjustment I have had to make is to give myself an unusual amount of grace throughout the day. To say that I had unrealistic expectations of myself this first month would be the understatement of the year. At times it has been completely humiliating to watch myself flounder with two children. {I mean...HELLO! I used to run a classroom full of crazy lovely students!}

But, as I have learned to accept grace from my Heavenly Father, I have also had to learn to make the time to be in God's word. My quiet times this past month did not look the same as they have in the past, but I find those moments since I know without His words in my heart, there is NO WAY I could do this job. To help me stay focused on my quiet time, I have been studying Kelly Minter's devotional on Nehemiah. As I was studying I came across these verses...
~ Nehemiah 1.5-6 ~
"O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those  who love him and obey his commands, let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night..."

Day and night...how I praise God he hears us whenever we call and whatever we need...even if we don't even know what to ask for {Romans 8.26-28}. I'm just so grateful that we have a God who cares and is the perfect model for us as parents. It gives me great HOPE as I look to the future as the Mama of both Jack and Henry.




No comments:

Post a Comment