Harvest

Friday, August 17, 2012

A Holy Perspective

This week Jackson turned 3 and started his first day of school. In the same week that we had celebrations and "firsts" a Sweet Briar sister said goodbye to her 3 year old son.

I never met Sarah's sweet boy, but I know that Carter helped many of us gain a holy perspective on our children.

In recent weeks Sarah let us know that some unusual things had started to happen with Carter. Many of us have been praying for him since he was first diagnosed with a brain tumor. But our prayers became even more passionate in this new uncertainty.

In the midst of this new information about Carter, my son seemed to reach a whole new level in his demonstration of the "Thrashing Threes."

As I sat one night and prayed for Jackson and his heart after a particularly naughty day, I stopped in the midst of my prayer and began to weep. And then I changed directions in my prayer. I thanked God that I had the privilege of praying for my healthy child and the challenges that his age now presented.

Let me be sincere. This age is ROUGH. I have quickly come to understand: parenting is not for wimps. And were I not strapped to the base of the Cross, I honestly do not know how I would discipline Jackson's sin nature without completely destroying him with my own.

The holy perspective that Carter's brief life has given me these last few days is that I have the privilege of participating in the upbringing of my sons. I have the privilege of walking with them through each of their days, both the fun and the naughty. And even more... I have come to understand that I am not in control of my children or their futures. They have been entrusted to me, one day at a time.

I would give anything for Sarah's family to not have been the godly example that I needed to gain this perspective. But I am forever grateful that her sweet boy's short life set the record straight.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a precious post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness your boys are adorable! The pictures of Jackson and Henry are so precious. I know you are enjoying both of them even though being a mom is difficult at times. You have everything you need to do a fabulous job as a parent -- you know to look to God for the strength to get through each day. You are a very smart mama! It truly is a wonderful privilege to have those young lives entrusted to us; I was also reminded of this fact when we moved my baby into his college dorm on Sat. The time goes by so very fast, so bask in God's glory and He will enable you to be the mom he has planned for you to be.
    Looking forward to meeting Henry in person real soon. Take care!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete